Thursday, August 5, 2010

Cure for a summer cold

Yeah, you guessed it, I've got one of those nagging summer colds. The kind that make you feel puny enough not to want to do anything, but you'll be damned if you waste your time convalescing during the last remaining days of this crazy summer. I tried to bake it out of me in the sun today, but not a couple of hours after I had arrived at the lake a huge thunderstorm blew in and chased us merry sun-worshipers away.

I went to the pharmacy and wandered around, looking at the various medicines and such, then decided I'd rather not dope myself up and sleep away my precious few days off. I thought about it for a minute. What are two things your momma always said when you're sick? Drink lots of fluids, and take your vitamin C.

Thank you, momma! I had my solution. SCREWDRIVERS! A one-two punch of fluids and vitamin C, that will encourage rest and healing all at the same time.

Do I really have to give a recipe here? I suppose I should, but I'm not going to measure anything out, because I don't feel like it today. It's easy; two fingers of vodka and top it off with some freshly squeezed orange juice. If you don't have the gumption to squeeze your oranges, (for shame!), that newfangled 'simply orange' juice is the best, because that's all it is. If you insist on a little extra sugar, go ahead and use your minute maid.

Trivia time! Know why it's called a 'Screwdriver?' Apparently, the American engineers would sneak a little vodka into small cans of orange juice and stir the mixture with their screwdrivers. I'd say that canned orange juice could only be improved by the addition of vodka. Yeesh.

When times are tight, or oranges dear, you can make 'Electric Screwdrivers,' which is Tang and vodka. This is also called a 'Tang-Banger.' I'm also a fan of a good Gin and Orange, but today called for vodka.

For now, I'm relaxed, and about to drift off and see if my convoluted technique will indeed stave off this cold. If not, then I'm happy I at least had a good cocktail.


*It's come to my attention that there has been a lot of Rum and Buggery, but no talk of snacks. This shall change with the next installment. Patience, dear reader! Also, please comment! I don't know what you want to read about if you don't tell me, and questions or cocktail suggestions are more than welcome!*

No comments: